Most of the time I had no idea what was happening, but it was beautiful to look at.
That sums up my experience of Anna Karenina. I probably should have prefaced with the fact that I have not read the novel by Leo Tolstoy. Seeing this film makes me want to read it, to fill in the holes, but then I remember reading War & Peace, and I start hyperventilating all over again.
Oh yeah! Bullet points:
- Who thought Aaron Taylor Johnson with a porn star moustache and blonde tips was attractive??
- Whoever thought they could make Jude Law unattractive?
- The theatre/film thing was fascinating. Confusing (and I'm not sure I understand the point), but fascinating.
- I want every single costume Keira Knightley wears. EVERY. ONE.
- Cameo by Lady Mary Crawley!
- Cameo by Moaning Myrtle!
- Why won't this movie end? It's only 2:10, but it felt much longer towards the end there.
My Unit: "When did this movie come out?"
Me: "Last year."
Her: "Did you rent it just because it's a period piece?"
Me: "Yes. AND because I wanted to see it."
Then later when it wouldn't end:
"Yeah, yeah, yeah, we get it. Love is horrible. People are horrible. It's always the same fucking story. Will you please write a story that isn't the same as every other fucking story?"I'm working on it...