Friday, October 16, 2020

Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe

 OMG YOU GUYS!  I made chicken tortilla soup last night for the first time EVER, and it was fucking delicious!  This is a big deal for me; however, I refuse to become one of those food bloggers where you have to read their whole damn life story before getting to the recipe.  So recipe first!  I'll write separately about my cooking baggage.

This is a combination of these two recipes:  Delish's "Best Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup" and Spend With Pennies' Chicken Tortilla Soup.  Comments on the former said it was too watery and bland, but I wanted to use my new InstaPot, so I combined the best parts of both (and I don't like improvising!).  If you don't have an InstaPot, I would just follow Spend With Pennies' recipe; I imagine you'll get a similarly delicious result.  So here we go.

You'll need:

  • 2 large chicken breasts, thawed
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 bell peppers, chopped
  • 1 poblano pepper, chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. oregano
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 1 (14 oz.) can of crushed or diced tomatoes
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes with chilis (like Rotel)
  • 1 (14 oz.) can of black beans, drained
  • 1 cup corn, drained if canned (I had a small can and used the whole thing, didn't measure)
  • Juice from one lime
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
Optional for garnish/serving:
  • Tortilla strips -- both of the recipes above include instructions on how to make your own crispy tortilla strips (one baked, one fried). You can also use tortilla chips.  We happen to love these chili lime tortilla strips made by Texas Toast (they're also excellent on salads).
  • 1 avocado, sliced (I didn't do this)
  • Additional cilantro (I didn't do this)
  • Shredded Monterey Jack cheese (I didn't do this)
Instructions:
  1. Turn InstaPot to Saute setting and heat the 2 tbsp. of olive oil.  When oil is hot (shimmering), add all peppers and onions.  Saute until veggies start to soften (5 minutes), stirring occasionally.
  2. While onions and peppers are cooking, generously salt & pepper your chicken breasts.  Also make sure your canned items are opened, drained where necessary.
  3. After 5 minutes of sauteing, stir in the garlic, oregano, cumin, and chili powder.
  4. Add the salt & peppered chicken breasts to the pot.
  5. Add these ingredients to the pot:  chicken broth, lime juice, both cans of tomatoes, black beans, and corn.
  6. Close lid and set InstaPot to Soup setting; set the timer for 7 minutes.
  7. When the InstaPot cooking has completed AND the air has been naturally released (don't use the quick release option), open the lid (carefully) and, using tongs, remove the two chicken breasts onto a plate or cutting board.  Shred the chicken (using two forks, or a fork and knife, or this weirdly efficient way using an electric mixer).
  8. Stir shredded chicken and 1/4 cup cilantro back into the soup pot.
  9. Serve!  Eat!  Enjoy!
I will be eating some of my leftovers today for lunch.  If you want some additional texture, you can stir cooked rice into your bowl with the soup (the Muppet Man did and greatly enjoyed it).



No comments:

Post a Comment