Thursday, January 2, 2020

Resolutions Schmezolutions

New Year's, resolutions, yadda yadda yadda -- here's another chance to not suck!

Like I do most year, I'm resolving to write more.  But I prefer to call it a goal, rather than a "resolution."  (Words matter, y'all.)  Normally I'd be handwriting this particular tripe in my journal but (of all days), I left it at home (and I'm in the office).  So typey-typey it is!

I decided sometime late last year (heh) that continuing to review books and movies would be a good way to keep on writing.  So what did I do?  I started at least two (as yet unfinished) reviews, and I've read a third book that deserves a review that I cannot find the words to as it was simply too sublime (The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern, if you're wondering).  I've even gone back and read those unfinished drafts to see if they could jog my memory enough to finish 'em. Nope.

I really need to write reviews as soon as I've finished something, while everything is still fresh(ish) in my head.  As far as The Starless Sea is concerned, I also considered going back and just reading the parts I highlighted (thanks, Kindle!), mostly out of context, to see what that produces.  So far, nothing.  Not that it didn't trigger thoughts, just that I've been too lazy to write anything.  Bad Leonard, bad!

Also on my mind lately:  abuse, memoir writing, writing about abuse, repressed memories (particularly when they become unrepressed, which is apparently not a word), magical realism.

So that's what I've got goin' on.  2020, you'll be eventful, I'm sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment