Thursday, May 30, 2013

Throwback Thursday: The Chipmunks (and Chipettes!)


I loved this show in the 1980s!  And let's not forget The Chipettes! 


The show itself (Alvin & the Chipmunks) started running in 1983 and lasted for eight (8!) seasons until 1991.  The cast included Ms. Dody Goodman (of Grease fame) as Miss Miller, the Chipettes' chaperone.  I have her autograph, thankyouverymuch.  It may interest you to know that:
  • The same man voiced Alvin, Simon, and Dave Seville
  • The same woman voiced Theodore, Brittany, Jeanette, and Eleanor
  • Alvin, Simon, and Theodore's last name is listed as Seville, same as Dave, though they don't call him "Dad."  They call him "Dave."
  • The Chipettes all have the last name as "Miller," but they don't call Miss Miller "mom."  They (and the boys) call her "Miss Miller."
  • I used to know the entire The Chipmunk Adventure movie (1987) by heart.
More importantly, I realized that without these little rascals I probably wouldn't know "Wooly Bully" (Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs, 1965), "Sharp Dressed Man" (ZZ Top, 1983) --  not to mention, of course, the Chipmunk classics "Witch Doctor" and "The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late)."  Growing up we had an album (yes, an actual record) of The Chipmunks singing their Christmas songs; I now have it all on iTunes and listen to it every Christmas.

I wonder if the placement of these songs in their respective episodes/movies (at the 1980s stuff) will make more sense now that I know the songs.  Hmmm,....I may have to rewatch some cartoons!

And yes, I watched both Alvin & the Chipmunks (2007) and Alvin & the Chipmunks:  The Squeakquel (2009). when they came out (on DVD).  I even own the 2007 soundtrack (hey, I like both the updated and original versions of the songs!).  Of those two movies, these two videos make me giggle no matter what:

"Rinse Cycle"




And this, because it's adorable and really kind of wrong if you think about it (though it must be watched directly through YouTube).

No comments:

Post a Comment