Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Republic of Thieves (Review)

Leonard figured out how to borrow library books on the nook!  Woohoo!
Here is a review of the first acquisition, The Republic of Thieves, the third book in Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastards series.

The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard, #3)The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Overall, I am generally happy with my return to the life and world of Locke Lamora. I particularly enjoyed the additional information on the Eldren. They are such a unique aspect of this world; I am glad Lynch has mentioned them more, rather than just the previous throwaway lines of "no one knows what happened, but look at these cool bridges!" This, in addition to other information (no spoilers!), opens the view of the books to its whole universe, rather than just Locke's somewhat narrow (although very entertaining) view of the next job.

I am not sure that I "get" Patience's last joke about tailoring (don't want to give anything away). MSG me if you understand it.

My one quibble (besides the fact that this particular cover doesn't seem to make much sense) is with the Epilogue. It is, at best, distracting. It is the last thing left in the reader's minder; why fill it with something other than the main character(s)? I am also not a fan of returning previously vanquished foes; it feels cheap.

Go, read, and tell me if you understand the parts I don't :-)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment