Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Review: The Night Circus

The Night CircusThe Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Wow. This book fascinated me; I read it in two nights straight. I even dreamt about it in between. The description of "behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway: a duel between two young magicians" doesn't half do it justice. Indeed, that's all I ever read of the description, and then stopped reading because it sounded silly. The book is anything but silly. Something about it, and about the circus itself, just resonated with me. The way the chapters are laid out and the stories overlap kept my brain intrigued.

My only regret is that I read it on my nook. The dates at the beginning of each section are important, and if I had been reading a hard copy, I would have been able to turn back and double-check dates more often. My first edition nook makes that nearly impossible (and when it is possible, very cumbersome).

One thing about downloading the eBook from the library is that it has to "prepare" and then open the file on my laptop in Adobe Digital Editions. The message for this book said: "Preparing The Night Circus," which led to visions of a tiny circus in my computer (and made me giggle).

I may have to purchase a hard copy to reread again.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment